Mental Health Solution
Care4Today® in the Real World:
Mental Health Solution
Supporting providers to reduce the risk of relapse in schizophrenia and bipolar patients by improving adherence to treatment
Serious mental illness (SMI) is one of the most complicated and costly disease areas confronting healthcare systems and society at large. The Care4Today Mental Health Solution is a community-based programme designed to help patients with serious mental illnesses like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder remain on track with their treatment and recovery, and enabling people with a serious mental health illness the opportunity to live full, self-directed, and rewarding lives.
Supporting adherence to treatment plans is a key challenge for SMI patients, providers, and caregivers. Plans that can be tailored to the individual, developed by behavioural health professionals in consultation with patients and caregivers, address the mental, physical, and social needs of the patient. Non-adherence to treatment plans can result in relapse, re-hospitalisation, and poor overall outcomes for those living with mental illness, and higher costs for the healthcare system.
In order to improve adherence to treatment, patients require tailored education and a strong system of support, including connections to HCPs and caregivers, extending beyond the clinic.
The team mapped out an ideal care pathway and developed a corresponding “toolbox” for patients and their healthcare providers that delivers:
- Structured education to help those with serious mental health illness learn more about their conditions, and understand the benefits of medication and treatment adherence
- Group classes (spanning two months)
- Self-service patient resources such as videos and online tools
- A mobile app that enables patients, staff, and administrators to stay up to date on medication dosing and treatment progress
The Care4Today Mental Health Solutions programme was implemented at South Essex Partnership NHS Trust in the UK, and showed4:
Reduced inpatient stays
Inpatient stays for participants reduced by 58 per cent
On the MARS 1-10 scale, adherence increased from 5.35 to 8.02; risk of non-adherence reduced from 10.4 to 6.02
Patient questionnaires indicated very high satisfaction rates and 96% likelihood to recommend the program
In light of these promising results, Care4Today has continued to evolve the solution and has implemented the programme in the US at Sharp HealthCare in California and Mt. Sinai Health System in New York.
- 4. Lewis L, O'Keeffe C, Smyth I, Mallalieu J, Baldock L, Oliver S. Maintaining Adherence Programme: evaluation of an innovative service model. BJPsych Bull Jun 2015, DOI: 10.1192/pb.bp.114.048496